My friend Skye has been reading my novel-in-progress as I write each chapter. She is only four chapters into it and I just created a list of questions to ask her to get the maximum amount of information out of her, without getting what she thinks I want to hear.
I hope this could help someone!
- Can you describe the main character to me?
- Can you describe the setting or major place to me?
- What did you think when this character did this? (Some scene specific to your story… May have to ask this about many scenes)
- What thoughts did the end of that chapter leave you with?
- Who was your favorite major character?
- Who was your favorite minor character?
- Who was your least favorite character?
- What was your favorite scene?
- Are there any characters that seem vague in your memory?
- Are there any places that need more detail?
- Did you ever feel confused?
- Was there anything that seemed out of place, or odd?
- Were there any dry, boring or dead moments?
- Were there any sections that you had to read multiple times to understand?
- Were there any scenes that seemed rushed or you wanted more of?
- Were there any scenes that made you feel uneasy or tense? If so, why? (determine if this is a good thing or if it was intended in a tense or uncomfortable scene.)